Friday, December 19, 2008

We'll take it!

1 game in overtime and the other two got close at the end. Three W's...let's leave it at that. Way to play hard until the last minute girls...all 3 teams. We go to Monette tomorrow to play our last game of the year. That's right, we won't play again until January 6th at home against Rivercrest and I believe that's just 4th & 5th. The word is that Monette has a gym that is "off the hook." Let's go in there Saturday morning and show them how to play some ball. See ya Saturday!

Monette games:

4th at 9:00
5th at 10:00
6th at 11:00

A little controversy last night:

I'm not sure how many of you know what was going down last night but maybe you felt the tension. Let me explain. I had a coaches meeting weeks before our season started and met with all the coaches in our league. That night we discussed rules & schedules. Coach Brad Brannen from Bay is the leader and he called the meeting to lay the foundation. One rule is we must have certified referees for all conference games. Apparently, there was some home cookin' going on in the past and they wanted to help the situation. Our referees...Justin Milam and Mikie Slater are both certified and carry a card in their wallet to show proof. The question came up at the meeting that night, "what if we ask to see the card and they don't have it on them?" Coach Brad said "write down their name and call me and i'll check the website to see if they are listed." All certified referees are listed on a triple A webpage that coaches have access to. Well, the 4th grade coach from Trumann wanted to see the cards before the game started. Justin had left his at home by accident. He offered to go get it but said he would be late getting back in time since we had about 3 minutes until tip-off. Trumann demanded a forfeit. He said, "if you can't show the card it's an automatic forfeit. I told them to call the guy at Bay but they didn't want to hear that. They demanded a forfeit. I said let's play the game and if we win you can call the guy at Bay and talk to him. Well, we won in overtime and he blew up again after the game demanding a forfeit. The funny thing, that coach wasn't even at the meeting that night so he didn't know what he was talking about. I told him I wasn't going to argue with him and he needed to 'once again' call the coach at Bay and I would follow whatever he said. When I got home last night I called the coach at Bay and he hadn't received any calls from Trumann. He told me not to worry about it and he would handle it if they called. I think they were just looking for an easy win.

Coach Archer